Re: Transaction Based Settlements Encourage Waste (was Re: BBN/GTEI)

  • From: Karl Denninger
  • Date: Sat Aug 22 20:42:20 1998

On Sat, Aug 22, 1998 at 07:55:22AM -0700, Michael Dillon wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Aug 1998, Dave Rand wrote:
>
> > All I can say is that if settlements are based on who is receiving
> > the traffic, there will be huge increase in the amount of money
> > that networks pay to attract everyone's favortive smurf target,
> > the IRC servers.  A 2-day-long 100 Mbps smurf will be _encouraged_ :-)
>
> The peer whose network the SMURF originates in will trace that back to the
> source so fast you'll smell the rubber burning. DoS based on large numbers
> of packets will be a thing of the past.
>
> --
> Michael Dillon                 -               Internet & ISP Consulting
> Memra Communications Inc.      -               E-mail: michael@memra.com

Hahahahahahhahahahahaha....

Those attacks hurt providers who are used as sources (or amplifiers) RIGHT
NOW, by saturating links that would otherwise be relatively idle!  They still
DO NOTHING!

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly / All Lines K56Flex/DOV