Re: Transaction Based Settlements Encourage Waste (was Re: BBN/GTEI)

  • From: Michael Dillon
  • Date: Sat Aug 22 11:00:52 1998

On Sat, 22 Aug 1998, Dave Rand wrote:

> All I can say is that if settlements are based on who is receiving
> the traffic, there will be huge increase in the amount of money
> that networks pay to attract everyone's favortive smurf target,
> the IRC servers.  A 2-day-long 100 Mbps smurf will be _encouraged_ :-)

The peer whose network the SMURF originates in will trace that back to the
source so fast you'll smell the rubber burning. DoS based on large numbers
of packets will be a thing of the past.

--
Michael Dillon                 -               Internet & ISP Consulting
Memra Communications Inc.      -               E-mail: michael@memra.com