Re: open relays at Earthlink

  • From: EarthLink Information Security
  • Date: Wed Aug 19 11:33:27 1998

Hello-

While suggestions for denying relaying are appreciated, a majority of
EarthLink members access our mail servers via POPs on the UUnet and PSI
networks.  Closing our servers to those networks is not possible (though
they are effectively closed to relaying for all other traffic).

Our Network Abuse department works closely with UUnet and PSI to identify
and take action on spammers that access our servers via their POPs.

Please continue to report any incidents to abuse@earthlink.net for handling
on a case-by-case basis.

While a personal response to mail sent to abuse@earthlink.net is not always
possible, if you continue to utilize our established abuse resolution
channels by forwarding the message, with full headers intact, to
abuse@earthlink.net, we will continue to either take immediate action on
any EarthLink accounts identified, or forward complaints along to the
appropriate network(s) until action is taken on the accounts responsible.

At 10:28 AM 8/17/98 -0400, Adam D. McKenna wrote:
>Earthlink has the following open mail relays:
>
>gull.prod.itd.earthlink.net
>snipe.prod.itd.earthlink.net
>(a couple of other earthlink hosts, I can't remember which now, they were
>all in the .prod.itd.earthlink.net subdomain.)
>
>I know this because I have been getting spammed by someone using them for
>the past week.  I have tried e-mailing abuse@earthlink.net several times and
>have received no response.
>
>I'm hoping a clueful Earthlink admin will see this post and take the
>appropriate action.  If not, then maybe Earthlink should be "nominated" for
>RBL.
>
>--Adam
>---
>bash: syntax error near unexpected token `:)'
>
>Adam D. McKenna
>adam@flounder.net

Lisa Hoyt, Information
Security Administrator