Re: Process management

  • From: David Lesher
  • Date: Fri Jul 10 15:24:22 1998

Unnamed Administration sources reported that Michael Dillon said:

> > Let's see, we can put in 3 big stations: one in an old mill in
> > the Boston area, another in Arlington VA, and a third at ihnp4..
>
> Explain, please. The first sounds like where DEC started out. Is the
> second MAE-East? And while I recognize ihnp4 as one of the central UUCP
> nodes I never knew what or where it was.

Sigh....
{To stop the flood of "huh?" email}

Several googlebytes ago, there was no "Net" but rather a loose
confederation of UUCP-linked sites. They called each other up
with dial-up phone lines and {gasp} modems every night and swapped
mail and netnews.

But to reach someone, you had to go though someone else. The big
three Someone's were:

	decvax, at the Old Mill [DEC Hq] in Medford

	seismo; the Center for Seismic Studies [whose interest
	was not earthquakes, but nuclear explosions..] run by a
	guy named Rick Adams.

	ihnp4; Indian Point, a Bell System [remember THAT?] plant
	in Illinois, or was it Indiana...

Thus my comment was a backhand way of saying "The more things
change..."