Re: "RelayFinder" Anyone else seen this? (erols, fnord, oneill may be interested)

  • From: Christopher X. Candreva
  • Date: Mon Jun 29 10:35:27 1998

Hmmm -- a brute-force scan may have been a bad idea, but the idea may in
fact be a good one.

I'm thinking instead to extract from the sendmail logs all mail servers that
connect to an ISP, and run a scan on them. Hopefully craft the return DNS
entry such that it's obvious it's a legit test. Or simply to be inocuous.

Test all relay's that connect to us, a few ISPs do that, and we might just
have a large list of open SMTP servers to contact to fix their servers.
Couple with a list of how to fix/upgrade the various server versions
(including clueless NT ones),  and we might actually make a dent.

-Chris

Chris Candreva  -- chris@westnet.com -- (914) 967-7816
http://www.westnet.com/