Re: Smurf Amp Nets

  • From: Richard Thomas
  • Date: Thu Jun 18 01:19:05 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Thomas <buglord@ex-pressnet.com>
To: Jon Lewis <jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net>
Cc: nanog@merit.net <nanog@merit.net>
Date: Thursday, June 18, 1998 1:09 PM
Subject: Re: Smurf Amp Nets

>Might want to add a delay considering the amount of bandwidth they will be
receiving if they tried to send out all those probes at once. In a previous
message it was stated that a probe uses 4x64bytes, plus amplification by the
broadcasts. I just took the SAR offline for about 4 minutes while trying
running a SMALL portion of my bcasts through your script on my 28.8k modem,
and it didn't even come close to completing that portion. That fact aside
you won't get very accurate results if the SAR is so flooded it can't
receive the replies. I would suggest they use ping
>-s 1 or -s 8 if the timing information is desired.

Woops my bad missed the ''s to protect &, I really WAS firing 'em off all at
once =)