RE: Sprint's New ION products

  • From: Tom Walton
  • Date: Wed Jun 03 13:24:53 1998

The most troubling thing to me about the ION plan is that it
seems to revolve around the idea of using LEC local loops to
deliver service to home customers. The LECs are not going to
be enthusiastic about providing an unbundled loop to
facilitate being cut out of their long-distance termination
fees. This could be a very slow roll for Sprint.

This problem will not become acute until they begin
deploying residential service, as many/most business
customers (the initial targets) will be "on-net" with CLECS
who are already interconnected with Sprint. It might be that
Sprint is hoping/praying for regulatory/statutory
intercession before they try to penetrate the residential
market en masse.

I love the telecommunications business...

--Tom

Tom Walton
Director of Strategic Consulting                703-709-7500
Dimension Enterprises, Inc          225 Van Buren, Suite 180
twalton@dimension.net          Herndon, Virginia 20170 - USA