Re: different thinking on exchanging traffic

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Mon Jun 01 14:52:52 1998

On Fri, May 29, 1998 at 11:31:27PM -0400, Steve Sobol wrote:
> > I wonder how much bandwidth at the MAEs could be saved if more areas
> > built local low-cost NAPs just for local traffice exchanges?
>
> I think there's a lot of merit to this proposal. When I first signed on with
> a local Internet provider, the owner explained to me that GEOGRAPHIC
> proximity does not always equal INTERNET proximity. Back then (1991-92)
> there was not a lot of infrastructure, so often that couldn't be helped. It's
> quite different now, though.

No it's not.

There's still little confluence between the two distance metrics.  :-)

You're correct in noting that the infrastructure will support it now,
though.

Gotta go find me a vulture capitalist...

Cheers,
- jra
The Suncoast Freenet      "Two words: Darth Doogie."  -- Jason Colby,
Tampa Bay, Florida             on alt.fan.heinlein             +1 813 790 7592

Managing Editor, Top Of The Key sports e-zine ------------ http://www.totk.com