RE: AS8584 taking over the internet

  • From: Dave Van Allen
  • Date: Fri Apr 10 08:23:12 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Randy Bush [mailto:randy@psg.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 09, 1998 11:51 PM
To: Dalvenjah FoxFire
Cc: nanog@merit.org
Subject: Re: AS8584 taking over the internet

> IOW, if some terrorist group manages to get set up where they can announce
> BGP, they can toy essentially with whatever they like, until people/their
> upstream gets a clue and installs filters.

-before we get too hysterical, it may be worth noting that to date the
-problems have been caused by lack of clue, not lack of ethics, morals,
-or empathy.  not that this is reason less for caution, but it might
-guide our reaction towards the actual, as opposed to imagined, problems.

-randy

Nevertheless, he is right.

Best regards,

David Van Allen - FASTNET(tm) / You Tools Corporation
dave@fast.net (888)321-FAST(3278) http://www.fast.net
FASTNET - Business and Personal Internet Solutions