Re: AS8584 taking over the internet

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Thu Apr 09 22:11:56 1998

On Fri, Apr 10, 1998 at 12:16:50AM +0000, Michael Shields wrote:
> In article <3.0.3.32.19980409083628.03cebbe8@mailhost.ip-plus.net>,
> philip bridge <bridge@ip-plus.net> wrote:
> > That is of course laudible. But the point has to be made that AS8584 is in
> > Israel. In an environment when a small ISP in a small country can cause a
> > lot of damage to the global Internet, a way has to be found to efficiently
> > propogate this knowledge far and wide.
>
> I don't understand this point.  Would you have been happier if they
> were a small ISP in the United States?  How about India?  Finland?
> Why does it matter that AS8584 is in Israel?

I believe that the implication was that: 1) they're not directly
connected to any of the major _US_ backbones, and 2) they're on the
other end of a fairly thin hose.

And they can _still_ hose things this badly.

This speaks not well of the architecture involved.

Cheers,
-- jra
The Suncoast Freenet      "Two words: Darth Doogie."  -- Jason Colby,
Tampa Bay, Florida             on alt.fan.heinlein             +1 813 790 7592

Managing Editor, Top Of The Key sports e-zine ------------ http://www.totk.com