Re: NSI Bulletin 098-008 | New Registration Agreement

  • From: Paul Zawada
  • Date: Mon Apr 06 11:14:29 1998

On Sun, 5 Apr 1998, James Rishaw wrote:

> Scott Bradner wrote:
> >
> > minus the lawyer's fee & distribution expenses - I'd guess that means
> > you will get about $0.14 for each domain.
>
> If a class action suit against NSI were won, I doubt NSI would not be able to
> deduct legal expenses from the judgement against them.

I think Scott was referring to the lawyers representing the Class, not the
defendants.  Typically in cases like this, the class' lawyers make a
boatload of money while the members of the class get back a small fraction
of what they had originally lost.  In other cases the losses suffered
by each member of the class are minimal when taken individually...  Did
you buy a computer monitor between 1991 and 1995?  Did you collect your
$13?  Your lawyers got $6 Million.  (The especially nasty cases are the
ones where the lawyers negotioate a nice hefty fee for themselves
while the class ends up with a bunch of coupons for products or services
they didn't want in the first place...)

Some cynics would alledge that some lawyers form class-action suits to
make a lot of money- not because they want to see some large injustice
corrected...

--zawada

(All IMHO...)

Paul J. Zawada, RCDD     | Senior Network Engineer
zawada@ncsa.uiuc.edu     | National Center for Supercomputing Applications
+1 630 686 7825          | http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/People/zawada