Re: Whoa; the 3 network?

  • From: Wayne Bouchard
  • Date: Tue Dec 23 22:58:30 1997

> > How then can you justify needing more than a single Class-B, or at most two
> > or three worldwide?
>

> I recall seeing a comment about using the public Internet as private data
> transfer.  Since the smallest prefix you can advertise on the Internet is /24,
> that breaks up the aforementioned Class B into 256 blocks.  Given that GTE
> (or any large corporation) is likely is divide its remote offices up in
> headcounts of 254, there's room for inefficiency there.  I could easily see
> a use for _at least_ 4 Class B's, if not more.

Okay...

RFC1918 host

border router  <----+
  |                 |
  |                 |
public internet     |
  |                 |
  |                 |  IP tunnel between corporate offices
border router       |  preserving RFC1918 addressing.
  |                 |
  |                 |
RFC1918 host   <----+

With carefull use of NAT at appropriate points, it is technically
possible to limit the amount of publicly visible addresses you use to
(quite conceivably) 2 or 3 traditional class C blocks. Obviously this
is not necessarily a real world model but you get the picture. I don't
personally believe that an "enterprise" network should ever require
more than one (PERHAPS two) /16 networks. When you get to ISPs and
similar, the need for addresses will rise dramatically but it can
still be kept under control if you're carefull about maintaining
hierarchical addressing structures.

Wayne Bouchard                             GlobalCenter
web@primenet.com
Primenet Network Operations                Internet Solutions for
(602) 416-6422   800-373-2499 x6422        Growing Businesses
FAX: (602) 416-9422
http://www.primenet.com                    http://www.globalcenter.net