Re: Impact of paying for address space

  • From: Adam Rothschild
  • Date: Tue Dec 23 20:58:07 1997

Think of what happened way back when, when InterNIC began to charge for
domain names.  I for one was outraged at first, and then calmed down and
learned to "bite the bullet", as did many others...

However, looking at the high fees imposed by ARIN for address assignment,
I really hope this practice will not remain in its current form.  As
anyone can clearly see, the fees are extremely high, and will surely cause
a raise in costs that are incurred by the end user in one way or another.

Put simply, I would LOVE to hear some justification for the high fees
imposed by ARIN (in terms of administrative work on their end that is, not
considering the whole scarcity of addresses factor).

I sure hope millions of net users worldwide will not be driven to colocate
their equipment abroad, or circumvent IP addresses by doing
firewalling/port forwarding, or something wacky of the sort! :)

-=asr