Impact of paying for address space

  • From: Phil Howard
  • Date: Tue Dec 23 20:21:47 1997

With there being a fee structure coming into place for obtaining address
space, businesses are going to end up being more conservative with their
space requests.  Maybe.  I suspect many will.  If you expect to assign
a /17 worth of space over the next year, why ask for all /17 of it now.
Why not get a /19 each quarter as needed.  With the fee structure in
place, there would be less panic about space becoming too scarce.

Now if this does take place, and I believe it will although I am not sure
to what scale, that will mean that each business and ISP will have more
smaller prefixes.  That means more BGP announcements and larger tables and
an impact on routers.

Thoughts?

--
Phil Howard | w4x4y7z4@lame0ads.org stop7it6@no15ads1.edu no7way47@spam6mer.com