Re: Which pipe dream should we be smoking? (was Re: Possible topic?)

  • From: Joseph Kucic
  • Date: Wed Oct 22 02:20:30 1997

Hi,

You can get info at:

http://www.networks.digital.com/html/products_guide/hp-swch3.html

The Gigaswitch/FDDI is a different product than the Gigaswitch/ATM.  You
can insert ATM uplinks into the Gigaswitch/FDDI.

I won't discount Gigabit Ethernet to quickly (yet there are no router
interface available).  I believe Ether Channel has an opportunity depending
on what happens with the GSR but there is no switch to take advantage of it
(except maybe the Cat 5500).  But I do agree that traffic shaping
technology is critical to any long term design.  I guess the ideal solution
will be Gigabit Ether Channel (8Gbps) or Terrabit Ethernet with traffic
shaping if its not ATM at OC-192.

Thanks,

Joe Kucic