Re: Web Biz Universal Remove List Update

  • From: Jon Lewis
  • Date: Mon Oct 20 02:31:05 1997

On Sun, 19 Oct 1997, Craig A. Huegen wrote:

> The "IEMMC" crap that Sanford Wallace promoted was also an engine to
> generate addresses for spam use.  I know of a few people (including
> myself) who tested this theory by using a very old account from which we

That's not a valid test.  Lists of addresses, many of them very old, get
used for spam all the time.  I used to get spam via a school mainframe
account I'd not used for several years.  That account had never done
usenet and was on very few if any mailing lists.

When IEMMC came out, I did a real test.  I created a new account never
used for anything.  I jumped through their hoops Jun 18, 1997, and got
confirmation I was on their remove list.  That account still has not been
spammed.  It has gotten one message that could be interpreted as hate
mail, but that's all: