Re: UUNet Routing SNAFU

  • From: John A. Tamplin
  • Date: Wed Oct 08 23:42:16 1997

On Wed, 8 Oct 1997, Danny McPherson wrote:

> > And since I helped *create* the CA*net database *and* the CA*net route
> > filters based on the various DBs, yes, I meant RADB.
>
> How many providers actually apply prefix-based filtering (based on IRR
> objects) to other providers?
>
> I like the idea of prefix-based filtering applied to customers (by everyone
> that claims to be tier 1 & 2 (&3), at the very least), as well as the idea of
> configuring static filters for /19s and such, but if I were to build 46K++
> lines of ACLs to filter prefixes from all eBGP peers for all registered
> prefixes (from several different registries) .. my routers wouldn't be
> manageable.

We filter prefixes on BGP customer links and peers, but not with upstream
providers (obviously).

RtConfig is very useful for automatically building such configurations,
although in our case we are rather small scale.

John Tamplin					Traveller Information Services
jat@Traveller.COM				2104 West Ferry Way
205/883-4233x7007				Huntsville, AL 35801