Re: Trans-Atlantic Traffic

  • From: Richard Almeida
  • Date: Fri Aug 22 08:03:56 1997

In a previous message Per Gregers Bilse wrote:

> jotun.EU.net% inic 134.222
> European Unix Users Group (NET-EUNET-X25)
>    Kruislaan 413
>    NL-1098 SJ Amsterdam
>    NETHERLANDS
>
>    Netname: EUNET-X25
>    Netnumber: 134.222.0.0
>
> We will leave this untouched for future generations to wonder about,
> especially the "X25" designation.-)

Aha, fond memories - I remember when we first replaced the
UKC (became EUnet GB) UUCP over IPSS (BT's international X.25 service)
to Eunet Central, in Amsterdam, with a custom built IP router which ran IP
over that 9600 baud X.25 link. And that was a /24 subnet of 134.222.0.0

- Almost ALL the UK's commercial email fitted on that link - it was approx
December 1990 - and as IPSS is charged by the packet, email was charged
by the Kilobyte for incoming and outgoing international mail

 Richard

--
Richard Almeida				email: rpa@insnet.net
Technical Director			phone: +44 181 296 9201