Anti-SPAM announcement from AT&T Worldnet (fwd)

  • From: Jim Carroll
  • Date: Sat Mar 29 19:24:15 1997

> Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 18:08:44 -0500
> From: Jonathan Clark <jhc@lynxhub.att.com>
> To: spam-list@psc.edu, nanog@merit.edu, spam@zorch.sf-bay.org
> Subject: Anti-SPAM announcement from AT&T Worldnet
>
> AT&T Worldnet announces that starting Monday, March 31 1997,
> it will be taking action to stop email from non-AT&T Worldnet
> account holders being relayed through its servers.
>
> We have reserved the right to treat such mail any way we deem appropriate,
> which may include deleting it without notification to the originator.
>
> Please address any questions about this policy to abuse@worldnet.att.net.

 This should really be treated as a warning message to  mail  administrators
 everywhere.  If  you  have not already implemented mail-relay blocking, you
 should think seriously about adding it now.

 When AT&T starts the filtering, those senders "hijacking" AT&T mail servers
 will go searching for alterate  servers;  sort  of  like  rats  fleeing  an
 abandoned warehouse that is now being renovated.

---
Jim C., President       | C A R R O L L - N E T, Inc.
201-488-1332 voice      | New Jersey's Premier Internet Service Provider
201-487-5717 dialup     |
http://www.carroll.com  | Ask about our Business Web Services