Re: ARIN is *NOT* A Good Thing

  • From: John Curran
  • Date: Sat Mar 29 12:11:10 1997
  • Phone: (617) 873-4398
  • Usmail: 150 CambridgePark Drive, Cambridge, MA, 02140

At 1:29 3/29/97, David Stoddard wrote:

>The inference here is that by creating a costly
>new bureaucracy, all our problems will go away.

The inference is that we can have IP address
allocations being made by a relatively nimble
non-profit if we take the steps to establish
such now.

There is a very real difference between a large
for-profit company working under the goverment
cooperative agreement and a small standalone
operation running under member goverance.

I don't think creating ARIN solves the world's
problems, but I do think it provides a solid
path forward for IP administration in a very
uncertain world.

/John