Re: interface defaults again

  • From: Paul A Vixie
  • Date: Tue Feb 25 18:07:30 1997

> I attended your talk at NANOG. One question I have is - why use SQUID?
> Why not have the web server directly connected?

Originally it was because I used BGP and the Web server didn't have a strong
enough kernel for (then) 38,000 routes.

Now it's because the web server only has one Ethernet interface and on the
BSD/OS system can have 12 (three Zynx PCI cards with 4 ports each), and the
customer may get to the point where four or five providers (remember, this
is DEC PAIX) seems like a good idea.

In the future it'll be because there are more than one web server and we'll
want to stash a whole farm behind a single or small number of Squids.