Re: How to spam nicely?

  • From: Adrian J Bool
  • Date: Mon Feb 24 05:04:17 1997

On Mon 24 Feb, Neil J. McRae wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Feb 1997 19:12:35 -0800
>  "Joseph C. Pistritto" <jcp@pointcast.com> wrote:
> > I'd like suggestions from members of the community on the best way to
> > do bulk mailings to our user base (not product recommendations
> > specifically or anything like that), but obvious pitfalls to watch out
> > for.
>
> The best way is not to do it.

Actually our users quite like service updates via email as long as
we are not trying to sell them anything or there are too many.

All our userbase downloads mail via POP3.  In the Qualcomm version of
popper there is the concept of bulletins - where you create your email
and popper sends it to each user once when they connect on the fly.
(Keeping a dbm file of who has recived the mail so they don't get loads of
copies...)

You need to be very careful with what you put in there - and keep the
marketing poeple away from it ;-)

Regards

aid

--