Re: root server update

  • From: Craig Nordin
  • Date: Fri Feb 14 14:46:29 1997

> So now everyone will start sending test DNS requests to the servers
> and overload them even further.
> Dave Nordlund               d-nordlund@ukans.edu

Does anyone have any helpful figures on how testing is causing
its own problems?  I hear this shadowy complaint from time to
time -- and yet I am skeptical.  Unless you go severely overboard
in the frequency of your testing, it should be only a drop in
the bucket.

How many times do my DNS servers query the root servers? Maybe
25,000 times a day?  Or maybe 10 times that?  What does a check
cost?

I've done parsing of the DNS server logs to avoid such things
in the past, but I don't see it as that big of a deal.