Re: Internet vs. Telephone company

  • From: Allan Chong
  • Date: Tue Feb 04 05:42:15 1997

William Allen Simpson wrote:
> existing lines turned on anyway).  They refuse to let us co-locate in
> the CO (they cannot find an official policy, and thus cannot allow it).
Colocating in a CO is kinda difficult with good reason.  They have to engineer
power for you (and internet equipment draws a lot more power than they're
used to) and the whole issue of access is difficult.   Given that you're not
internal or on their approved list, you'd probably have to be supervised
while in the CO.  Even the interexchange carriers tend to
maintain a minimal amount of equipment in the CO and typically have an
adjacent building for their stuff.

There is just a whole lot of open card racks, large bundles of cable, and other
stuff that you wouldn't want anyone wandering around near.

I know 2 people (at small companies) that have succeeded in getting fiber
run out to their location and the lines broken off there  It was about half
a racks worth of telco equipment (locked) in their facility.  It really facilitated
local loop installation.  You might want to pursue this.

allan