Re: peering charges?

  • From: Alex.Bligh
  • Date: Mon Jan 27 06:49:21 1997

> I love it.  Do you really think you discovered a fount of money?  Any settlement
> game is zero-sum by definition.  When ISP A pays ISP B some sum, A has
> less resources to invest into infrastructure.  On average, customers
> do not win.

Whilst the rest of your message makes perfect sense, I don't think
this does. Settlment peering can easilly be +ve sum for A&B. For
instance ISP C could lose out. Very few economic transactions are zero
sum (except perhaps under perfect competition). Consider the limiting
case where A sells B transit. Hopefully this is not zero sum or we
should be looking for other jobs...

Alex Bligh
Xara Networks