Re: Non-profit IP Registry

  • From: Wayne Bouchard
  • Date: Fri Jan 03 17:07:22 1997

> > As a customer I have no problem paying for /16s so long as you'll give
> > me as many as I wish to buy.
> > --
> > Eliot Lear
> > [lear@sgi.com]
>
> As a customer I feel the same.
>
> But this is precisely why addresses should never be sold.  How do you expect
> some mom & pop business or individual to compete with billion dollar companies
> that don't blink at a $50K service charge.
>
> Joe Pace
> pace@honda.com

May I please point out that this discussion has not mentioned the wide
scale implementation of IPv6 or some derrivative thereof. The greatly
increased quantity of addresses should have some impact on
this. Granted, for the sake of routing tables, some organization needs
to manage the allocation so we don't end up with piecemeal routing but
the restrictions on how many addresses folks can have should be
lessened in such a circumstance.