Re: Non-profit IP Registry

  • From: Bob Collie
  • Date: Thu Jan 02 22:49:59 1997

See below:

--On Thu, Jan 2, 1997 9:56 PM "Kim Hubbard" <kimh@internic.net> wrote:

> Recently, there has been discussion concerning the need to keep IP issues
> separate from domain issues.  The stability of the Internet in part
relies
> on the careful management of the Internet Protocol addresses.
>
> The point has also been made that the management of the IP space should
> be put in the hands of those that depend on it - the users.  Whether
> those users are ISPs, corporate entities, universities, etc., they
> should all play a role.
>
> To this end, Network Solutions, Inc. plans to create and initially fund
> a non-profit 501(c)6 organization to be known as The American Registry
> for Internet Numbers (ARIN) to manage the IP address space for the
> territories it currently administers, similar to the APNIC and RIPE
> regional IP registries.  This organization will be a non-profit
> spin-off of the current InterNIC IP group.
>
> Network Solutions, Inc. will initially fund ARIN until fees are imposed
> and will offer continued financing until such time as it is a stable,
> self-sufficient entity capable of funding itself through its membership
> dues, registration and maintenance fees.
>
> Details on the proposed organizational structure and 1997 funding
> model are located at http://rs.internic.net/arin.

Two questions that I am sure will be widespread.

1) The information on the web page does not seem to cover this:  If an ISP
pays the annual membership fees and it delegates a /24 (or so) to a
customer, will the customer have to pay the $2,500 one-time fee for a /24?

2) What is the proposed timeframe for such an organization to be created
and fees to be imposed (important to those of us who are in the middle of
budget time...).

Thanks,
-Bob

--
Bob Collie, Chief Technical Officer, Telalink Corporation
mailto:rmc@telalink.net