Re: Policies affecting the Internet as a whole - Hitting where it hurts

  • From: Neil J. McRae
  • Date: Fri Dec 27 11:19:36 1996

On Fri, 27 Dec 1996 09:47:25 -0600
 "Chris A. Icide" <chris@nap.net> alleged:

> Anyway, to get to the point, I along with several others have been in
> contact with the ISP, which is aware of the individual's activity and
> refuses to deal with those activities since "there are no laws affecting
> his use of our system in this manner, and we have no recourse."  So,
> my question to you folks is, would something like the intentional black
> holing of the source network for this user (he apparently sources all
> attacks from one swamp Class C address) be an appropriate incentive
> to the ISP to deal with the problem?  If so, where would be a good place
> to announce such measures, their goal, evidence, etc?  I can see how
> such a thing could easily get out of hand if it's not taken seriously.

You're stepping on thin ice, I'd say you'd be best to cover your own
arse and let people worry about their own in cases such as this.

The last thing the Internet needs is some dodgy cartell deciding on
who is allowed access and who isn't. Although I've had similair experience
mostly from academic sites.

Regards,
Neil.
--
Neil J. McRae. Alive and Kicking.          E A S Y N E T  G R O U P  P L C
neil@EASYNET.NET        NetBSD/sparc: 100% SpF (Solaris protection Factor)