Re: NAP/ISP Saturation WAS: Re: Exchanges that matter...

  • From: Craig Nordin
  • Date: Tue Dec 17 00:20:23 1996

[I took this direct...]

> >If you are busy, you are busy, right?
>
> Not. Different pieces of hardware are busy in those cases.

Thanks for the education..

> Er.  There's no such thing as perfect transport as long as TCP is
> concerned.  If end-hosts support large windows, even a single
> TCP session will load the network to the point where it'll lose
> packets.

What you say here makes sense to me.  But, out of a 500
ping sample over the course of half a day, I was getting well
below one percent loss -- six months ago.

Now, my same sample group is going for more than three percent,
with many ten percent loss routes showing.  This has changed and
has changed commensurately with the throughput problems shown
in TCP and name lookup problems via UDP.

It may not be scientific proof, but it could very well be a good
scientific indicator.  An indicator is all I really need for the
most part.