Re: Exchanges that matter...

  • From: Vadim Antonov
  • Date: Thu Dec 05 22:38:30 1996

Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@apollo.hp.com> wrote:

   As is, practically all Internet traffic is long-haul.

>Folks doing part-time telecommuting are likely to generate traffic
>with very high geographic locality; unfortunately, in a lot of cases,
>because of routing nonoptimalities, they wind up generating
>"long-haul" traffic instead..

Yes, although most employers either provide their private dial-in
facilities or get a good "package" deal from a local ISP on behalf
of its employees.

Still, Web constitutes the bulk of traffic...

I do not argue that local exchanges between regionals are entirely
worthless; it's that they won't have large impact on what happens
at "large" exchange points (or private interconnects).

--vadim