Re: Agenda for next NANOG

  • From: Tim Salo
  • Date: Fri Aug 30 19:59:33 1996

> Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 15:59:23 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Michael Dillon <michael@memra.com>
> To: nanog@merit.edu
> Subject: Re: Agenda for next NANOG
> 	[...]
> What would it take to set up a couple of Alphas, routers and zero-mile
> T1's in a portable testing kit to go around from NAP to NAP and run tests?
> 	[...]
> Such
> machines could run a full suite of tests including FTP'ing large files,
> downloading complex web pages (i.e. multiple images) as well as the lower
> level things like ping tests.
>
> This kind of test would provide useful numbers that customers can
> understand as well as point out problem areas that a NAP operator might
> need to investigate. And with co-operative NAP peers, the same test kit
> could be used with T1's out to various locations that feed into the NAP so
> as to run the same tests across the peer's routers and lines.
>
> Would this kind of testing reveal any useful information that could not be
> gotten from examining router stats?

Actually, it would be nice if this "portable test kit" were actually an
optional board for a router.  You could, for example, stick the "portable
test kit" board in a router and then test at will.

We also tried to explain to our ATM tester vendors that we wanted ttcp
implemented in the ATM tester.  Some understood, some didn't...

-tjs