Re: Access to the Internic Blocked

  • From: Vince Fuller
  • Date: Thu Aug 22 12:53:38 1996
  • Phone: (415) 528-7227
  • Usmail: 3801 East Bayshore Rd, Palo Alto, CA, 94303

    So now I need to hack my traceroute to send ICMP_ECHO_REQUESTS instead
    of high-port udp packets?

You'll also need to pursuade your router vendor to violate the ICMP spec,
which says that ICMP error messages (i.e. TTL exceeded) are never sent in
response to ICMP messages...

I suspect that this restriction is precisely the reason that "traceroute" uses
high-port UDP packets.

	--Vince