Re: audio/video again

  • From: Dick St.Peters
  • Date: Tue Aug 06 03:24:34 1996

> But it is much much easier to tell a developper that their product
> violates RFC2001 than it is to try to convince them that they are wrong
> based just on engineering grounds. The developper and their managers will
> dispute engineering reasons much sooner than they will dispute an official
> Internet standard from the IETF.

An RFC would also make it a lot easier to justify restraints on what
users can do.  RFC compliance could even be turned into a marketing
advantage, which would put pressure on other networks to comply as
well.

I much prefer pressuring developers than pressuring users, but I think
anyone who runs a "retail" network or is aware of mailbombing
software, spamming software, or cracking software knows that being
part policeman and part parent comes with the territory.  "Bad"
applications will be written no matter what the RFC says.

--
Dick St.Peters,       Gatekeeper, Pearly Gateway, Ballston Spa, NY
stpeters@NetHeaven.com     Owner, NetHeaven 518-885-1295/800-910-6671