Re: totd

  • From: Michael Dillon
  • Date: Sat Aug 03 20:35:35 1996

On Sat, 3 Aug 1996, Vincent J. Bono wrote:

> > The biggest problem with using non-routable ip addresses on numbered interfaces
> > whether point to point or frame or atm or whatever, is that you lose outside
> > connectivity from those interfaces.  We tried this, but the essential
> > traceroutes from our core routes are too important when debugging BGP
> > problems to the outside.

It shouldn't affect traceroutes. If it did the TOTD would never have been
posted.

> I agree.  I can't see how a lot of debugging functions would be possible
> from the unmanned POPs if we used private ips.

Presumably the private IP addresses would be fully routed within your
network but filtered at the borders.

Michael Dillon                   -               ISP & Internet Consulting
Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: michael@memra.com