Re: Why aren't ISPs providing stratum 1 NTP service?

  • From: Christopher E. Stefan
  • Date: Fri Jul 26 02:23:57 1996

On Sun, 21 Jul 1996, Michael Dillon wrote:

> WWW servers can issue a "redirect" to a different URL. Anybody can hack
> this up with something like Apache by adding index.cgi to the index page
> possibilities and then enabling .cgi as an extension to automatically run
> a CGI script which could issue the redirect in the HTTP headers instead of
> emitting an HTML document. The CGI script would only need to be a simple
> table lookup similar to what a Cisco's SSP does. Of course their needs to
> be something more intelligent (like BGP to continue the analogy) that
> builds and maintains the lookup table based on some sort of heuristics.

Isn't IBM doing some sort of fancy load redistribution for the WWW
servers its running for the 1996 Summer Olympics?  I seem to recall they
were determining the "closest" server via a technique called "ping
triangulation", whatever that is.

Christopher E. Stefan
flatline@ironhorse.com
http://www.ironhorse.com/~flatline           finger for PGP key
System Administrator                         Phone: (206) 783-6636
Ironhorse Software, Inc.                     FAX:   (206) 783-4591