Re: Peering Policies and Route Servers

  • From: Paul A Vixie
  • Date: Tue Apr 30 13:58:40 1996

> The organizations that export/import routes via the route servers may find:
>
> 1) the routers have fewer configured peers therefore resulting
>    in less load on the routers
> 2) the route servers have route flap dampening implemented thereby
>    insulating the peer from a high number of routing updates
> 3) the route servers do the routing computations which results
>    in freeing significant amounts of processing time on the peer routers
> 4) a reduction in the time and energy (people resources) needed to
>    establish new peering relationships
>
>             --Elise

I, as an example of an "organization" as described above, have found these
things to be true.  The startup transient is high -- all those this-objects
and that-objects.  But once it's up and running, adding route relationships
is much easier using the route server than by adding BGP sessions.

Of course, I don't do anything complicated.  I understand that Sean and
others have found that they need to do things with their route import and
export rules that the route servers don't have a way of expressing.  Perhaps
if I were running a net as large as Sean's I would have his troubles.