Re: MCI [ATM overhead]

  • From: Tim Salo
  • Date: Mon Mar 25 19:41:42 1996

> From: jon@branch.com (Jon Zeeff)
> Subject: Re: MCI [ATM overhead]
> To: salo@msc.edu (Tim Salo)
> Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 09:04:44 -0500 (EST)
> Cc: wolfgang@whnet.com, nanog@merit.edu
>
> > 	Line Rate		155.520 Mbps
> > 	Available to ATM	149.760
> > 	Available to AAL	135.632
>
> > The reader can apply their favorite packet size distributions to these
> > numbers.
> > Having said all that, I am not sure where that leaves us.
>
> That leaves us with the throughput of two DS3 links.  It doesn't seem worth
> the effort given how short term a solution it is.

I am not sure I follow your arithmetic.  The line rate on a DS-3 is
44.736 Mbps.  You need to subtract several overheads from that: at
least some DS-3 and some PPP overhead.

How does that add up to half of the throughput of an OC-3c IP/ATM link?

As long as I took this opportunity to inquire, what to you mean by
"given how short term a solution it is?"

-tjs