Re: MCI

  • From: Wolfgang Henke
  • Date: Tue Mar 19 13:31:01 1996

     > What kinds of routers can route at near wire speeds a bunch of ports at
     > 155Mb ATM?

     None right now. Gigarouter can handle it theoretically, but...

     I'm being picky, but it's a moot question since doing wirespeed OC3c using
     ATM is impossible in of itself. Hell, mapping of SONET framings to ATM
     cells take off about 6 mbps right there.

     Anyway, until then you have a router that can do this, there always are
     ATM switches + cluster of routers.

True, Netstars's Gigarouter is the fastest one shipping now. Its
aggregate advertised bandwidth is 16 Gbps using a 16x16 matrix
of non-blocking crosspoint switches.

I have assembled a list of several best effort packet routers including
known research efforts:

http://www.whnet.com/wolfgang/giga.html

Corrections and additions are welcome.

Wolfgang

Wolfgang Henke  wolfgang@whnet.com  . http://www.whnet.com/wolfgang/
WH Networks                        ...   ftp.whnet.com /pub/wolfgang
2672 Bayshore Parkway Suite 503  .......             +1 415 390 9316
Mountain View CA 94043     ...................   fax +1 415 390 9317