cidr & livingston (was Re: Policy Statement on Address Space Allocations)

  • From: Russ Pagenkopf
  • Date: Sat Jan 27 14:50:55 1996

On Sat, 27 Jan 1996, Avi Freedman wrote:
> > I can't speak for Matthew, but many smallish ISPs have legacy /24
> > allocations from using Livingston Portmasters and IRXes before they
> > could do CIDR (I *think* they solved that problem, but I don't know
> > for sure).
>
> I think the problem was with variable-sized subnets within a /24, not
> with subnetting at all, but I could be wrong.

</lurk>
The problem with Livingstons is not that you cannot subnet, but that you
cannot variably subnet as noted by Avi above.
<lurk>

rus (who runs nothing but Livingston and wishes he could do variable
length subnetting)

Russ Pagenkopf        (406) 542-0838      Internet Services Montana (ism.net)
Hardware and Business Manager		    Connecting the World to Montana
       All questions can be answered thus. NO. YES. MAYBE. EH?