Re: EP.NET ???

  • From: bmanning
  • Date: Mon Jul 31 10:42:43 1995
  • Posted-date: Mon, 31 Jul 1995 06:51:16 -0700 (PDT)

> The existence of a forward mapping is not a necessary technical
> precondition for you to insert a reverse mapping which points in
> the right direction, i.e. at the organization operating the
> boxes.  However I also have trouble seeing why any ISP would
> willingly decline to register it's boxes in the DNS.

Welcome to the USA, Land of a thousand startup ISP's.

They decline for a couple of reasons:

	- They don't have DNS running internally
	- They perceive the EP node to be "outside" their domain
	- They don't know/care
	- A default is provided.

Now I will agree that the forward mapping is not a necessary
technical precondition, there is a need to the reverse mapping.
That mapping needs a name.

--
--bill