Re: US Domain -- County Delegations

  • From: nordlund
  • Date: Thu Jul 27 12:50:48 1995

>On Wed, 26 Jul 1995, Paul A Vixie wrote:
>
>> >Or, even better, for major metropolitan areas like SF, LA, NYC,
>> >CHI etc the name central city can be used instead of state.
>>
>> I like this idea.  (Note that VIXIE.SF.CA.US has moved many times since
its
>> creation, and though I've always been in the Bay Area I've not lived in
San
>> Francisco since 1988.)
>
>This would seem to indicate that geographical domains are a bad idea and
>that domain names should be based on some characteristic that is less
>likely to change over time.
>
>VIXIE.BIND.HACKER ?
>
>Michael Dillon                                    Voice: +1-604-546-8022
>Memra Software Inc.                                 Fax: +1-604-542-4130
>http://www.memra.com                             E-mail: michael@memra.com

How much do we want to use the .US domain?  For heavy use, we need a style
for organizations that are beyond cities, countys or even states.  I support
a style that will be organization.US  or maybe organization.COM.US (of all
things).

Dave Nordlund                               Dir of Technical Svcs
Databank, Inc                                      913/842-6699
1473 Hwy 40                               nordlund@databank.com
Lawrence, KS  66044                  "Your Key to the Internet"