Merit Joint Technical Staff

more on the CIX

  • From: Jeff.Ogden
  • Date: Thu Jan 06 08:45:49 1994

Attached is some more information about the CIX.  As you'll see if
you read this all the way to the end I've asked Bill if he can
give us a list of just those CIX networks that are not available to
MichNet by other routes.

You've seen many replies to my initial message about the CIX. I also
received a few private messages.  So far there has been one person
strongly in favor of MichNet access to the CIX, one somewhat in
favor, six or seven against and a few asking for more info. Those
that were against don't seem to be against the CIX, but just don't
think there is enough demand to justify the $10K fee at least today.
One or two people suggested taking a wait and see position since
we know that the Internet in the US will be restructured in major
ways later this year and with any luck that will help the commercial
access question. Of course with some bad luck it could make it
worse.

   -Jeff