Merit Joint Technical Staff

CIX and MichNet

  • From: Jeff.Ogden
  • Date: Mon Jun 01 06:43:00 1992

I think all of you have seen some messages between Peter Honeyman and
myself about MichNet and the Commercial Internet Exchange (CIX). MichNet
does not belong to the CIX and so thre are some parts of the Internet that
cannot reach hosts on MichNet and MichNet hosts cannot reach all parts of
the Internet.

For some time to join the CIX MichNet would have had to lease a line to
the CIX connection point and also pay a $10,000 a year fee. This changed
a few weeks ago when the CIX and ANS reached an agreement that would allow
traffic to be exchanged between ANS's network (including NSFNET) and
the CIX. This gets rid of the need for our own leased line, but
we'd still have to pay the $10,000 a year fee.

We've received no requests from our members or affilites to access
hosts on the CIX (except from the messages from Peter about
std.world.com). Before we make a decisioin to spend $10,000 a year
we'd need a much stronger show of interest.

So, this is a request to let me know if there is in fact such
interest from our school or organization. Please let others know
about this issue too or if you have questions send me e-mail or
call your MichNet site rep.

Thanks,
  -Jeff