Merit Joint Technical Staff

Re: Merit Board Retreat

  • From: Jeff.Ogden
  • Date: Mon Jun 29 12:38:47 1992

It isn't so much our policy that prevents you from connecting to world.
They are connected to Alternet and Alternet hasn't asked for their
IP network numbers to be announced to NSFNET. I don't know why they
don't ask for that, but I'd guess it is because someone thinks that
world is a commercial activity that doesn't meet the NSF AUP. I think
they probably do, but that is between Alternet, world and NSF and not me.

MichNet could solve the problem by joining the CIX. That would cost us
$10,000 a year. Yours is the first request that we do that and as much
as I like you you probably aren't worth $10,000 a year.  We did call
around to all of the Merit members to see if not being able to get
access to world (or other sites available via the CIX, but not via NSFNET)
was a problem and none of them felt that this was a pressing issue for
their school.

You are right that we should talk this over the the Board. It will be
tricky to get them to understand all of the issues behind the current
situation, however.

  -Jeff