News from the world of IT...
More than 80% of healthcare IT leaders say their systems have been compromised
- Only half of IT managers feel they are adequately prepared to prevent future attacks.
LG phones most exposed to new Certifi-gate vulnerability
- More than 70 percent of Android phones from LG have a plugin installed that exposes them to the Certifi-gate remote support app vulnerability, where a rogue application -- or even a text message -- can completely take over a device
FAA approves Gogo for faster Internet on flights
- Faster Internet access on flights may finally be possible soon.
Yahoo Says Mobile Apps Rule, Browser Is Bygone
- A Yahoo executive said mobile developers should focus on apps because consumers spend 90 percent of their time in mobile apps as opposed to browsers.
CERT Warns of Hard-Coded Credentials in DSL SOHO Routers
- DSL routers from a number of manufacturers contain hard-coded credentials that could allow a hacker to access the devices via telnet services and remotely control them.
PayPal Patches Serious Flaw in Payment System
- PayPal has patched a serious vulnerability that could have been exploited by malicious actors to trick users into handing over their personal and financial details.
Tech companies are hiring more liberal-arts majors than you think
- At a time when many tech companies have come under fire for a lack of diversity, this suggests hard technical skills aren't the only things they are hiring for.
Security Blogger May Have New Lead in Ashley Madison Hacking
New York Times
- Fallout from the breach of the adultery dating site spreads as law enforcement investigates further. A song from the rock band AC/DC has a role in the inquiry.
Concerns new Tor weakness is being exploited prompt dark market shutdown
- Agora dark market suspends operations after finding "suspicious activity."
10 Highest Paying Computer Science Programs
- Computer science majors from these 10 schools can expect to earn the most by the time they reach the middle of their careers, according to data from Payscale.com.
Microsoft Says More Than 75 Million Devices Running Windows 10
- Only a few days after the 20th anniversary of Windows 95, Microsoft announced that more than 75 million devices are now running Windows 10.
Facebook adds Siri rival to Messenger
- The new service, called M, began being turned on for users Wednesday.
Amazon reportedly laying off engineers after Fire phone flameout
- "Dozens" of engineers have been dismissed in recent weeks from the secretive lab behind Amazon's consumer hardware.
Spam King pleads guilty to Facebook hack, email scheme
- A notorious spammer is facing up to three years in prison after pleading guilty to charges related to sending millions of unwanted email messages after breaching Facebook's computer network.