Happy Friday! Some IT news for the end of the week...
New hack could steal personal information from Gmail, other popular apps
- Researchers say personal data can be intercepted in six out of seven popular Android apps, and iOS could be vulnerable too.
Critical Delphi and C++Builder VCL library bug found
Help Net Security
- A buffer overflow vulnerability that could be exploited to execute malicious code has been discovered in the Visual Component Library (VCL) library of Embarcadero's Delphi and C++Builder application development environments, and could, therefore, also affect applications that were built by using the software and that use the affected library.
As security breach reports mount, experts fear alert fatigue
- The geopolitical landscape is ripe for hacks, attacks, and exploits, but just because big breaches are being reported more often doesn't mean you should stop caring.
Report: Microsoft to reveal Windows 9 next month
- Reports indicate that Microsoft is planning an event September 30, in which it will announce Windows 9.
Intel moves closer to wire-free computing
- It's developing a smart dock to wirelessly connect to monitors and peripherals.
Apple releases OS X Yosemite Public Beta 2 to testers
- Update should increase stability, continues Yosemite's visual transformation.
What is it like for a small business when your website gets hacked?
- 60% of British small businesses experienced a cyber security breach in 2013, and the after-effects can linger.
Los Angeles Undertakes Massive Website Relaunch with Drupal
- The City of Angels has cemented a deal with Acquia to use its open source CMS to manage 20-plus websites.
EBay Rises After Report on Possible PayPal Spinoff
- EBay Inc. shares climbed after The Information reported the company could spin off its payment unit as soon as next year.
Hackers Target Colleges to Steal Personal Data, University Research
- As college students head back to school, cybercriminals are heading back to work.
Top Browser Hardening Features Under Scrutiny
- An iSEC Partners report examining hardening features of the Tor Browser recommends moving off Firefox to Chrome, but budget and feature constraints make that unlikely.
Why developers should get excited about Java 9
- The next generation of the enterprise development platform will feature major improvements, including modularity and API updates.
How to use OpenPGP to encrypt your email messages and files in the cloud
- Putting sensitive data in email messages or cloud storage should give you the heebie-jeebies, but a good dose of cryptography can give you peace of mind.
Microsoft Engineer: 'Definitely Problems' With Test Process After Crippling Windows Patch
- A week after Microsoft pulled a Patch Tuesday update that crippled an unknown number of Windows 7 PCs, the company has yet to provide a working fix for either the original vulnerability or the resulting problem for people affected by the broken update.
Lessons learned from UPS Store breach
- Experts have a long list of suggestions for retailers to avoid security breaches.
Hospital network's failure led to massive hack
- A major hospital network's failure to update its computer software allowed hackers to steal 4.5 million patient records earlier this year, a security expert says.