A look at IT news...
Arrests made in global, $1.6M StubHub cybertheft case
- Seven people around the world have been arrested in connection with an international cybercrime ring that illegally accessed 1,600 StubHub accounts and stole more than $1.6 million in tickets.
Apple unwraps OS X Yosemite public beta Thursday
- Apple will release its first public beta of OS X Yosemite early Thursday.
Oracle Linux 7 Makes Its Debut
- Oracle sees continued potential for growth as it rolls out its latest Linux distribution release.
EBay faces class action suit over data breach
- EBay faces a class action suit in a U.S. federal court over a security breach earlier this year.
Mass exploit of WordPress plugin backdoors sites running Joomla, Magento, too
- MailPoet attacks commandeer an estimated 30,000 to 50,000 sites, researcher says.
Facebook to release open source library for iOS interface development
- Async Display Kit, part of Facebook's Paper interface app for iOS, offers users better scrolling on devices.
Firefox 31 Patches 11 Security Flaws
- Mozilla has released a new version of Firefox, which includes patches for 11 security vulnerabilities. Three of the bugs fixed in Firefox 31 are critical, including a use-after-free vulnerability and a handful of memory safety issues.
Cisco describes its SDN vision
- A Q&A with Soni Jiandani.
Google Acquiring Mobile-Testing Company DrawElements
- The Helsinki-based company assists device makers in testing graphics chips so that software developers can more easily build programs on their gadgets.
Internet Explorer vulnerabilities increase 100%
Help Net Security
- Bromium Labs analyzed public vulnerabilities and exploits from the first six months of 2014. The research determined that Internet Explorer vulnerabilities have increased more than 100 percent since 2013, surpassing Java and Flash vulnerabilities.
Apple Documents Undisclosed iOS Services
- Apple describes services as "diagnostic," but does not address criticism that backdoors undermine security and privacy.
How a Netflix subscriber used VPN to thwart Verizon's streaming slowdown
- That's what one tech-savvy Netflix subscriber did when performance lagged on Verizon's network. The result? A 10x boost in his streaming speed.
File-encrypting Android ransomware 'Simplocker' targets English-speaking users
- The malware was updated to use FBI-themed alerts and encrypt backup files, researchers from ESET said.
European Central Bank suffers security breach, personal data stolen
- The European Central Bank's website has been hacked and personal information has been stolen by a cybercriminal.
Behind Comcast's truthy ad campaign for net neutrality
- It would take a close reader to understand the difference between what Comcast is advocating to the public and what it's advocating to the FCC.
Michigan consumers to get $13 million in health insurance refunds
- Michiganians stand to receive more than $13.1 million in health insurance refunds, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services announced Thursday.
Uber in Grand Rapids: Ridesharing service to launch Thursday
- Registered Uber drivers and interested passengers finally can shift into drive after a month of waiting.
US Facebook average is 40 minutes a day, says CEO
- A tiny joy embedded in today's earnings call makes Facebook more important to Americans than quite a few things.