A look at IT news...
Big Switch releases SDN switching fabric for datacenters
- The company says its Big Cloud Fabric will accelerate the adoption of hyperscale networking technologies.
Goodwill Industries investigates suspected payment card breach
- Federal authorities and payment card industry fraud units notified Goodwill on Friday.
Hackers inside Chinese Military Steal U.S. Corporate Trade Secrets
- In the wake of the attacks, security leaders now work to determine future defenses.
EFF releases Firefox, Chrome plugin to stop online tracking
Help Net Security
- The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) has released a beta version of Privacy Badger, a browser extension for Firefox and Chrome that detects and blocks online advertising and other embedded content that tracks you without your permission.
Hackers Find Way to Outwit Tough Security at Banking Sites
New York Times
- A new cyberattack allows criminals to bypass the security mechanisms at banks in Austria, Japan, Switzerland and Sweden.
Italy gives Google 18 months to comply with European privacy regulations
- The country's data watchdog requires Google to ask permission before creating a profile on users.
Evaluate Aspiring Cyberwarriors Using Gaming, Not Grades
- Many experts say the government must rejigger its cyber hiring process.
Leaked 'Windows 9' screenshots reveal more detail about reborn Start menu
- It's not here yet, but recent leaks have given us another look at the refreshed Start menu for Windows due in 2015.
UK Security Firm Builds Network Immune Systems to Prevent Data Loss
- A UK security company has developed a new approach to enterprise security modeled on the immune system that promises faster, more effective responses to network threats.
Yahoo scoops up analytics firm Flurry
- Yahoo announced it will scoop up analytics firm Flurry, the 40th startup acquired since Mayer took over the company's top job in July 2012.
Microsoft reveals bankruptcy of devices strategy by dumping Nokia feature phones
- Microsoft was right to ax the feature phone business it inherited when it bought Nokia's handset business for $7.2 billion, analysts said today.
Apple scores patent for 'wrist-worn electronic device'
- The new patent highlights a device referred to as "iTime" that comes with built-in sensors and can connect with mobile phones.
Facebook Users Warned About Scammers Abusing MH17 Crash
- Facebook Inc. users in Australia have been warned that scammers are exploiting the crash of a Malaysian Air jet in eastern Ukraine last week.
Netflix passes 50 million subscribers
- The streaming video service said Monday that it now boasts over 50 million members in 40 countries, including 36 million in the United States.